1. Reputation. A degree from Rutgers speaks for itself! Rutgers University is rated in the top 5 for public universities in the Northeast and top 25 public universities in the nation.
2. New program designed to train genetic counselors for the 21st century. As a new program, our team was in a great position to create a program in response to the evolving and expanding genetic counseling profession. Our program was designed to train genetic counselors who are prepared to fulfill a variety of jobs, both in clinical and non clinical setting.
3. Dedicated and energetic faculty with great and varied experience. Our leadership and faculty have years of teaching and supervising experience in a variety of specialties. We are fortunate to have the wisdom and enthusiasm of such a dedicated group!
4. Clinical resources of Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS). The recent merger between Rutgers University and Robert Wood Johnson hospital opened the door for our students to have access to New Jersey's leader in academic health care. Our students will learn from academic professors from a variety of research and clinical specialties.
5. The only genetic counseling graduate program in NJ! Given the wealth of genetics and genetic counseling resources throughout the state, it is fitting to have a genetic counseling program in the Garden State. Rutgers is pleased to offer in-state tuition to NJ residents.
6. Over 20 clinical rotations - all in NJ! Another advantage of being the only genetic counseling graduate program in NJ is that our students have access to a variety of clinical rotations all within short drive.
7. Opportunity to work with genetic counselors in non-clinical settings. For an entire semester, all second year student work closely with a genetic counselor who works in industry, research, or in a lab based position. This additional rotation helps our students experience the ever growing field of genetic counseling.
8. Vibrant academic setting. Housed in the Graduate School – New Brunswick, our genetic counseling students meet and interact with students pursuing a variety of career paths. Students are able to take advantage of a variety of student resources and services, offered by the University.
9. Location, location, location. Hop a train and in an hour or less be in NYC or Philadelphia. Rutgers is also a quick 30 minute drive to the Shore. Rutgers University – New Brunswick is centrally located to these destinations!
10. A graduate school experience that will lead to a great first job in genetic counseling. Given today's hot job market, our graduates are mentored by and network with a variety of NJ genetic counselors. For students who may want to start their career in NJ, this is the program for you!