View the Summer Internship Flyer
Interested in a career in Genetic Counseling?
Apply for a Genetic Counseling Summer Internship At Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- Six-Weeks Long
- Full Time
40 hours per week for six weeks @ $15/hour = $3,600
Monday, June 12, 2023 – Friday, July 21, 2023
Designed for undergraduate students from diverse populations who are interested in careers in genetic counseling. The internships will provide exposure to a broad range of clinical genetic specialties, conferences and case conferences, research and laboratory work, shadowing in multiple clinical settings, and opportunities for one-on-one interactions with genetic counselors and current students.
This program is made possible through the Warren Alpert Foundation
Alliance to Increase Diversity in Genetic Counseling
- Be undergraduate students (rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors) from communities/populations that are underrepresented in the field of genetic counseling.
- Have a keen interest in health professions and genetics.
- Have a GPA of at least 3.0 and have completed some college-level coursework in biology, chemistry, and genetics.
- Be able to successfully complete criminal background checks and provide the immunization records (including for COVID-19) that will be required for clearance by the clinical sites.
- Be able to travel throughout central New Jersey.
Sample Internship Schedule
- Week One: Welcome reception, orientation, genetics seminars, research project introduction, meet your mentors
- Week Two: Genetic lab experience, professional development, case conferences, research project time
- Week Three: 2-3 days per week shadowing genetic counselors, attend genetics rounds, research project time, meet the Rutgers Genetic Counseling Master’s Program students
- Week Four: 2-3 days per week shadowing genetic counselors, attend genetics rounds, research project time
- Week Five: 2-3 days per week shadowing genetic counselors, attend genetics rounds, research project time
- Week Six: Research Project Time, Final Project Presentations, book club discussion
Applications will be open until February 15th, 2023
Recipients will be notified of acceptance on Friday, March 31, 2023